As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
- Leader: President Bashar al-Assad
- Population: 18.9 million (794,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Republic
- World Watch List Rank: 6
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
ONE MILLION VOICES OF HOPE: SIGN THE PETITION
We asked church leaders and Christians from Syria and Iraq what would give them hope. They highlighted three things: equality, dignity and responsibility. Speak out with them.
Give to rebuild hope
Help our local partners provide ongoing relief, rebuild homes and restore livelihoods, stone by stone, prayer by prayer, month by month.
OTHER WAYS TO BRING HOPE TO THE MIDDLE EAST
Speak out to our government in advocacy and to God in prayer on behalf of our church family in the Middle East.
In the midst of the civil war, Christians are targeted by the self-proclaimed Islamic State (IS), as well as other radical Islamist groups.
This year, churches and Christian-owned businesses were targets of IS bombings, and there have been many reports of Christians being abducted, physically harmed and killed. IS's propaganda magazine has said that IS fighters are allowed to rape non-Muslim women. Despite this, some Christians are committed to staying in Syria and hope to play a part in bringing reconciliation to their communities.
- For strength and protection for Christians in Syria, particularly for Open Doors partners and others who are choosing to stay and serve their communities
- For the almost 6 million refugees who have fled the war in Syria, that churches in their host countries will show them the love of Christ
- For wisdom for the leaders of Syria, and for God to use them to bring peace.
How we help
Through local church partnerships, Open Doors is strengthening the church to take advantage of the many opportunities for ministry, even in the ongoing crisis situation. This includes:
- Partnering with the local church to care for and provide relief aid to tens of thousands of displaced Christians, and starting all kinds of rehab programmes for them
- Distributing Bibles, Study Bibles, Children's Bibles, New Testaments and Christian books
- Providing discipleship and leadership training for church leaders and youth leaders
- Trauma counselling and debriefing
- Building bridges between Christian denominations by sponsoring conferences to which all denominations are invited.