As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
- Leader: Emir Sheikh Tamim
- Population: 2.3 million (210,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Republic
- World Watch List Rank: 20
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
Under Qatar's strict Wahabi Islam, converting from Islam to any other religion carries the death penalty.
Seen as apostates, Christian believers from a Muslim background (BMBs) are at serious risk if they openly practise their faith. Outward symbols of Christianity are banned, as is evangelism. Around 80 per cent of the population are migrant workers, predominantly from poorer countries. Though expat or migrant Christians are granted some freedom to worship, if caught evangelising to Muslims, they could be arrested and deported.
- Migrant workers are often treated as slaves. Pray that Christian migrant workers will be able to show the love of Christ to their employers
- That Christian converts would have boldness and discernment to share their faith with Muslim family members
- That BMBs would find ways to be discipled and have fellowship with other believers.
How we help
Open Doors supports the church in Qatar by raising prayer and awareness.