As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
- Leader: President Muhammadu Buhari
- Population: 191.8 million (95.9 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam, Christianity
- Government: Federal republic
- World Watch List Rank: 12
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
NIGERIA EMERGENCY APPEAL
In northern Nigeria, Christians who have already been displaced by Boko Haram extremists are being forced out of their refugee camps and denied access to vital aid. Help them survive by sending food and long-term support.
Hundreds of Christians were killed in northern Nigeria in 2016.
While the Nigerian army has had some success in tackling the Islamic terrorist group Boko Haram, most of the recorded killings have been carried out by Hausa-Fulani herdsmen, a radical Islamic tribe that frequently targets Christian communities. In 12 of the northern states, Sharia (Islamic law) has been implemented, and Christians in these states face discrimination and restrictions in accessing community resources, such as clean water, health clinics and higher education.
- For the protection of Nigerian Christians, particularly for women who are in danger of being abducted and forced to marry Muslim men
- For comfort for the thousands of Nigerian Christians displaced in targeted violence. Pray for wisdom for Open Doors partners as they serve these communities
- For provision for Christians in northern states who are often denied access to vital resources.
How we help
Open Doors partners with the local church to strengthen and equip persecuted believers in northern Nigeria through the following activities:
- Training to strengthen believers facing persecution
- Helping children to receive a Christian education
- Providing care and discipleship training for new believers
- Servant leadership and theological training for church leaders
- Community development projects
- Legal assistance
- Emergency relief and trauma counselling.
- Download our report on persecution in Nigeria
- Presentation of prayer points for Chibok
- Sanctuary Centre Prayer #Bringbackourgirls
- Creative Prayer for Chibok girls
- Mothering Sunday Prayer 2016