As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
- Leader: President Pena Nieto
- Population: 130.2 million (124.9 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Christianity (mainly Roman Catholic)
- Government: Federal republic
- World Watch List Rank: 41
- Source of Persecution: Organised corruption
Mexico is one of the most violent countries in the world, as a result of the presence of organised crime. .
The culture of violence affects all Mexicans, but especially its most vulnerable groups in rural areas, including minority Christian denominations such as Protestants. Believers who actively engage in transforming society constitute a threat to drug cartels and other criminal groups. Those who convert from indigenous traditional beliefs to non-traditional Protestant denominations face persecution. Members of the Catholic Renewal Movement have also been targeted.
- For physical protection for persecuted believers in Mexico For God's provision and grace towards Christians denied access to basic social services and resources
- That those involved in drug cartels will come to know Jesus and encourage positive change.
How we help
Open Doors works to strengthen the persecuted church in Mexico through:
- Quality research and communication that raises awareness about the persecuted church
- Effective advocacy to address the root causes of persecution at the local, federal and regional levels
- Projects that increase the resilience of the church to cope with persecution
- Engaging and equipping the Mexican church to reach out to persecuted Christians in Mexico.